Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Journey: 25th September, '99

This is something I wrote several years ago. On a train, travelling 3-tier sleeper to Bangalore, in search for a job and a life. Snowed in by work, so I figure this'll do for a while.

Here I am, stuck in this hell-train
Speeding towards my search for a new life.
And here are three cranky children in the same compartment as I,
Dropping coconut water on my clothes
And
Wiping their snot on Railways property.

I seek refuge in an upper bearth
Away
From their reach, but
Not their clamour.

Doze the hot afternoon away.

And now, as I peer down and out of someone's window, I cannot make out
whether
the coolness
on the platform we have stopped at is the shadow
Of rain-laden certainty of things to come

Or just any casual evening.

4 comments:

Kraz Arkin said...

I know exactly what you mean. Those top berths are the ultimate in escape...

Nitid said...

Wish u a very happy Diwali.

Kraz Arkin said...

Just reminding you of the time a lizard fell from the first floor balcony into your hair and you got a crew cut. :)

bubu said...

progga,

read and loved!!!!!

reminds me so much of the journey one undertakes from nowhere to nowhere and calls it life! the years of my travellings in search of things i never found. came back to earth and stumbled on a different sunset with an unfamiliar sound of birds going to nest. journeys now have other nuances. those others have grown into poems.