Friday, April 30, 2010

Riding The Wave

In an earlier post, I'd written about hoping for new things - change, excitement, and all that jazz. And looking back over the past year and a half, I can't quite believe the extent of change that I have, almost without thinking about it, orchestrated.

I quit my job - my stable, well-paying job - in the midst of growing recession! I left the US, and a life that I was beginning to loathe. I took a 4-month holiday, then moved to London, just about a year ago. And it's been an interesting year.

I've gone from having savings to having significantly less, but I've realised one of my travel-dreams - Machu Picchu. I came to London intending to work with the non-profit sector. I haven't done that, but I'm doing other things that are new, exciting, and super-interesting. I used to think it was insanity to work with family, but on evidence so far, I was wrong - and I'm relieved to admit it!
For 4 years in the US, I thought of going back to learning Spanish, and never quite managed it - and now, finally, I'm doing it.

It all feels like baby steps in the right direction.

I'm gradually getting used to this city, and while I still miss the madness of Bombay, and the semi-controlled chaos of my life in the US, I like the demarcated areas of peace and madness here.

None of this is about the long-term. I've stopped thinking in terms of the long-term, at least for the moment, and made my peace with it. But it's been a period of experimentation and discovery, and it's been fun! Multiple and diverse goals still plague me, but it's all good - let's see how many of these I can achieve in the next year. :)

7 comments:

full_moon_p said...

I like the way you have differentiated between the various cities: The madness of Bombay is equated only by NYC; It is, indeed, controlled madness here in USA; And as for London, I hoping you'll write more about it.

Devalina said...

yeah, this is the biggest difference between our parents generation and ours, right? we cant/ don't plan for more than, what, a year at a time?

good luck, darling. very glad to know its working out.

Progga said...

Thank you Moon and Debo. Yes, hope to write more about London anon. But there are so many other things and places to write about before that... :)
Debo: I think the other important difference (that perhaps supports our ability to not plan much in advance) is simply that we have more choices, yes?

Devalina said...

always, always...

Progga said...

Thanks, although in my opinion, those who help themselves help themselves. :)

yesbob said...

this post is a wake up call for me ...

Progga said...

YB, umm, glad to hear it? Where are you, boy? It's been ages since I've heard from you.