Sunday, December 03, 2006

Random Thoughts

Atlanta, Georgia. I take the team out for dinner on Peachtree St (of Gone With The Wind fame) and get back to my hotel at 11:00. Work for a couple of hours. Before I know it, it's 1:30 a.m. I have a 4:30 a.m. start, and begin to wonder if there's any point in sleeping at all. Even consider the idea of going to bed complete dressed for the next morning, so that I can tumble out of bed and into the car the next morning. Go into the bathroom (this aids contemplation, in case you were wondering) and stare at myself in the mirror for a while. Brush my hair. And as I do, I see that the few grey hairs I've had since I was 18 have begun to procreate and produce new ones. Almost in a daze, I begin to count them, separating each strand. 1, 2, 3, 4... when I get to 16, I stop counting.

Kansas City, Missouri. On Tuesday night, before I left for Atlanta, the weather forecast predicted crisp, cold weather in Kansas on Friday. As the aircraft zooms down low over Kansas City, I wake up, and notice the ground covered in patches of glistening white. Hard to tell from up here whether it's sand or snow. I remain undecided until we land, and then, as the plane taxies to the terminal, patches of ice glistening on the runway catch my eye. Shit, I think. An unexpected snowstorm the previous day has covered freeways and roads, and on my way to my meeting, I see cars stuck in snowdrifts on the road. Once off the freeway, we get onto roads that the ploughs have not tackled yet - icy roads on which cars have slowed down to a crawl. Absolutely nothing all around. "Buckle up, Dorothy, cos Kansas is going bye-bye" runs endlessly through my brain. The airport has tornado shelters. Needless to say, my flight back to Newark has been delayed - thunderstorms near Newark have caused all incoming and outgoing flights to be grounded. When the boarding announcement for our flight is finally made, the waiting crowd cheers loudly. Suck as it may, I will be glad to get back to Edison.

6 comments:

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Edison? EDISON?

Oh well, at least you get shingara and jilipi there.

J.A.P.

Progga said...

No, JAP, you don't. You get samosas and jalebhis, which, as we all know, are another thing altogether. :(

Anonymous said...

shee-yat toto !! this don't look like kansas no more !!

Anonymous said...

Its a sad day when you look forward to going back to Edison. :)

vijaydinanathchauhan said...

bebbe...jeshht what it is the Edison? in the before he was inventing light bulbs. how ij airplane going to edison? he ij maaann...not airports!!

Progga said...

bebbe, if you were a good desi, you'd know that Edison is India's answer to colonizing. Slow conqering through Dosa Express, Kabab & Curry Express and the like.